(John Dee Holeman, photographed by Jimmy Williams.)

Opening reception for Jimmy Williams’s photography exhibit, with musical performance by Big Ron Hunter. Thurs., October 14, 2010, 5:00–7:00 pm, Love House & Hutchins Forum. Free and open to the public.

Jimmy Williams is a fine art and assignment photographer based in Raleigh, NC. He studied visual design at North Carolina State University, and shortly thereafter, opened an independent studio where he established himself as a successful and award-winning assignment photographer. Now, more than thirty years later, Jimmy devotes much of his time to personal photography endeavors, nurturing and maturing his photography into significant bodies of work.

Williams’ work has recently been showcased at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington D.C., The Center for Fine Art Photography in Colorado and the Worldwide Photography Biennial in Argentina. Locally, his photography has been exhibited at the Betty Ray McCain Gallery, the Raleigh City Museum, the Gregg Museum of Art & Design and the Exploris Museum. In 2010, the City of Raleigh acquired a selection of prints to be part of the city’s permanent collection.

Williams is a recipient of an Excellence Award by Color Magazine; Merit of Excellence for Nature Photography at the Masters Cup Awards; Outstanding Achievement in Photography at the International Spider Awards; and 2nd place Deeper Perspective Photographer of the year at the Lucie Awards Gala at the Lincoln Center, NYC. Other recent accolades include: 1st place at Center’s Singular Image Awards, Fine Art Photographer of the Year at The International Spider Awards, and editorial features in Lenswork, Rangefinder, Photo District News, B&W, Color, Communication Arts, and Graphis.

“Before I lift my camera, I always open myself up to the moment and trust my emotions to dictate and inspire a compelling story. Whether I’m shooting a portrait or a landscape, my purpose always remains the same: to establish a connection with the subject and to produce utterly “real” moments. The emotions are raw. Sometimes private. Always Honest.” (www.JimmyWilliamsFineArt.com)