The Center for the Study of the American South offers support for UNC-CH students traveling to scholarly conferences. Graduate and undergraduate students who are presenting papers, posters, or other scholarly work about the American South may apply for up to $400 in travel support from the Center. The actual awards will depend upon the number of qualified applicants in each budget cycle.
To apply, please complete this form and notify us of your application at email@example.com. We will also need a short letter or email from your academic advisor certifying that you are currently enrolled and in good standing.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the academic year.
Instructions for CSAS grant recipients upon returning from conference travel:
- Post a synopsis or abstract of your conference paper, identifying the name and location of the conference, on the Center’s Facebook page. Photos are encouraged!
- Bring back a program from your conference listing your presentation.
- Download and complete the travel reimbursement form.
- Collect your original receipts for all expenses claimed. Please print out any e-receipts (as for plane tickets purchased online). Please circle totals on receipts rather than using highlighters, which do not show up well in photocopies and scans. You only need to submit receipts for expenses totaling the amount of your CSAS travel grant. For example, if you were awarded a $300 travel grant and your plane ticket cost $450, you are not required to submit your lodging or registration receipts along with the plane ticket receipt.
- Submit the completed travel reimbursement form along with original receipts and conference program to Terri Lorant or mail to