The Center for the Study of the American South offers support for UNC-CH graduate students traveling to scholarly conferences. Graduate students who are presenting papers, posters, or other scholarly work about the American South may apply for up to $500 in annual travel support from the Center.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- the CSAS Graduate Student Travel Grant application form
- a copy of the conference program listing your participation
- an abstract of the paper
- a brief letter from your academic advisor certifying that you are currently enrolled and in good standing
Items 1-3 should be submitted together as a single PDF file; the advisor’s letter may be mailed or emailed separately.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the academic year.
Instructions for CSAS grant recipients upon returning from conference travel:
- Post a synopsis or abstract of your conference paper, identifying the name and location of the conference, on the Center’s Facebook page. Photos are encouraged!
- Bring back an original program from your conference listing your presentation.
- Download and complete the travel reimbursement form.
- Collect your original receipts for all expenses claimed. Please print out any e-receipts (as for plane tickets purchased online). Please circle totals on receipts rather than using highlighters, which do not show up well in photocopies and scans. You only need to submit receipts for expenses totaling the amount of your CSAS travel grant. For example, if you were awarded a $300 travel grant and your plane ticket cost $450, you are not required to submit your lodging or registration receipts along with the plane ticket receipt.
- Submit the completed travel reimbursement form along with original receipts and conference program to