The Center for the Study of the American South offers support to UNC-CH graduate students to travel to scholarly conferences. Graduate students at UNC-CH who are presenting papers or comparable productions about the American South at scholarly conferences may apply for as much as $500 in annual travel support from the Center.
To apply, please submit the following to csas @ unc.edu:
- the CSAS Graduate Student Travel Grant application form
- a copy of the conference program listing your participation
- an abstract of the paper
- a brief letter from your academic advisor certifying that you are currently enrolled and in good standing
Items 1-3 should be submitted together as a single PDF file; the advisor’s letter may be emailed separately.
Applications are reviewed three times a year: October 1; February 1; and May 1. Applications which are not funded at any given review are rolled forward and considered again at the next review, continuing throughout the academic year.
Instructions for CSAS grant recipients upon returning from conference travel:
- Bring back an original program from your conference listing your presentation.
- Download and complete the travel reimbursement form.
- Collect your original receipts for all expenses claimed. Please print out any e-receipts (as for plane tickets purchased online). Please circle totals on receipts rather than using highlighters, which do not show up well in photocopies and scans. You only need to submit receipts for expenses totaling the amount of your CSAS travel grant. For example, if you were awarded a $300 travel grant and your plane ticket cost $450, you are not required to submit your lodging or registration receipts along with the plane ticket receipt.
- Submit the completed travel reimbursement form along with original receipts and conference program to
If you have any reimbursement questions that are not answered above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.