Summer Research Grants
The application deadline for the 2013 Summer Research Grants is February 28, 2013.
First-time applicants will be given priority.
UNC graduate and professional students are encouraged to apply for awards of up to $3,000 that can be used for summer research pertaining to the American South, including dissertation research, thesis research, and other academic projects including those with a component of engaged scholarship. Proposals are welcome from graduate and professional students in any discipline.
Graduate and professional student award recipients will be expected to present the results of their work in the annual Southern Research Circle Interdisciplinary Conference for Graduate Research. Recipients will also submit short summaries of the grant work. These reports will be posted on the Center’s website to provide a continuing file of research findings. Award recipients are expected to participate in the Southern Research Circle graduate-student working group during the subsequent academic year. The SRC working group will meet three times per semester for lunch and discussion of research and topics relevant to the study of the American South.
The summer research grant can be used for direct research costs and/or a stipend to support the student’s full effort toward research for an extended period.
Please submit three hard copies and one electronic copy (which must be submitted as a single PDF file) of the following:
- Cover page.
- Double-spaced narrative of not more than 1,000 words describing the project, its guiding questions, and its relationship to existing scholarship. The narrative should also indicate the anticipated project completion date.
- Complete budget.
- Curriculum vitae, not to exceed three pages.
- Letter of support from your faculty advisor under separate cover that
- Assesses the intellectual merit of the project
- Confirms that the student is currently enrolled and is expected to return next academic year in good standing
- Only one copy of your advisor’s letter is needed; it can be sent on paper or electronically.
Please email one electronic copy of your application as a single PDF file to email@example.com
Please send three paper copies of your application to
Summer Research Grants
Center for the Study of the American South
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
The Love House and Hutchins Forum
410 East Franklin St, CB #9127
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-9127