McColl Dissertation Year Fellowship
The application deadline for 2013-2014 is February 28, 2013
The Center for the Study of the American South offers the McColl Dissertation Year Fellowship in Southern Studies to support the completion of a dissertation by a doctoral candidate at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on a subject related to the history, culture, or society of the American South. We define the South broadly, to include the states of the former Confederacy, adjoining areas, and regions that are conceptually or ideologically southern. The fellowship will include in-state tuition for up to 3 credit hours, fees, health insurance, and a stipend of $18,000, and is made possible with the generous support of Hugh L. McColl, Jr.
Fellowships begin at the start of the fall semester and continue through the last day of the spring semester. Recipients are expected to devote their full efforts to the completion of the dissertation, and are not permitted any other form of employment while holding the fellowship. Fellows will also participate regularly in our “Southern Research Circle” research discussion series, and will make a presentation to that forum.
Recipients may not defer the McColl Fellowship or receive its stipend simultaneously with any other major source of competitive funding. Recipients who receive other funding awards may decline the McColl funding and retain the title of McColl Fellow.
Applicants should submit three hard copies and one electronic copy (as a single PDF file) of each of the following:
- cover sheet
- curriculum vitae
- a three-page description, double-spaced, of the project and its intellectual merits
- your timetable for completion
- a writing sample that is an excerpt from one chapter of your dissertation (approximately 15 pages)
- letter from your faculty advisor (no electronic copy required) that:
- certifies that the applicant is a doctoral student in good standing who will have reached formal candidacy for the Ph.D. by July the year of application
- evaluates the intellectual quality of the project and the likelihood that the McColl Fellowship will enable the applicant to complete the dissertation by June 30 after the year of the fellowship
Please contact the Center at 919-962-5665 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.