The Center for the Study of the American South serves Carolina & the community through research, scholarship, lectures, conferences, and arts events. Extending the University’s historic role as a leader in regional service and scholarship, our diverse programs reflect our commitment to strong research and scholarship on the history, contemporary experience, diverse cultures, and global context of the South:
- Signature lecture series: the Hutchins, Chandler, and Charleston lectures
- Southern Cultures, our award-winning peer-reviewed quarterly
- Southern Oral History Program, a nationally recognized leader in oral history preservation, collection, & methodology
- Funding student and faculty research across many disciplines
- Symposia, including the annual Global American South Conference
- Cultural programming, including Art @ the Center and Music on the Porch
We invite students, parents, friends, and fans to visit us on campus and to join us for our programs.
Center for the Study of the American South
CB# 9127, 410 East Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-9127
Ph (919) 962-5665 | Fax (919) 962-4433
Email us | south.unc.edu
The Center for the Study of the American South is located at 410 East Franklin Street [Google map], on the corner of Franklin Street and Battle Lane, in Chapel Hill, NC.
Our on-site parking is very limited. Please call ahead, (919) 962-5665, to reserve the visitor’s pass. The nearest public parking is in the Morehead Planetarium parking lot or the parking deck on Rosemary Street.
The Love House and Hutchins Forum, the Center’s headquarters, is built upon a site that has witnessed a vast span of southern history. Located at 410 East Franklin Street, the historic Love House is a fitting home for the Center for the Study of the American South, a focal point for regional study and service at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Two thousand years ago, American Indians built a seasonal camp here that university archaeologists uncovered in 2004. Pottery fragments and projectile points date the encampment to the Middle Woodland Period, 800 BCE to 800 CE, making it one of the earliest known Indian sites in this region.
After the founding of the University of North Carolina in 1793, the land became part of the village of Chapel Hill. In 1811 or 1812, the University built what is commonly called the Second President’s House here for President Joseph Caldwell, who resided in it until his death in 1835. It was also the home of University President David L. Swain from 1849 to 1868. Fire destroyed the house on Christmas Eve of 1886, and much of the other archaeological artifacts discovered on the site may be debris from that event. In a filled well in the Love House yard, archaeologists found an array of household goods, including a brass candlestick holder, pipe stems, beer bottles, a spittoon, a Union officer’s button, and a toothbrush.
The year after the Second President’s house burned down, James Lee Love, an assistant professor of mathematics, leased the eastern half of the lot and constructed this house, which he called “The House of the Seven Gables.”
Love had married into an auspicious Chapel Hill family and lived there with his wife, Julia (“June”) Spencer Love, and her mother, Cornelia Phillips Spencer. Perhaps the best known of the Love House’s many residents, Spencer was an influential writer and university booster, remembered for protesting the closure of UNC in 1871 and fighting for its reopening.
Mrs. Spencer left the Love House in 1894, rejoining her daughter’s family in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Later owners added a wider porch and new rooms, and during the twentieth century, the University of North Carolina reacquired the property for faculty and staff housing. Cornelia “Spencie” Love, a granddaughter of Lee and June Love, resided in the home with her family from 1998 to 2003. They were its final residents. After being lovingly renovated and expanded in 2006 and 2007, this southern structure now houses the Center for the Study of the American South.
Today it is known as the Love House and Hutchins Forum, in honor of its first owners and their families as well as the family of James A. Hutchins Jr., a distinguished Carolina graduate from the Class of 1937 and a protégé of the eminent sociologist of the South, Howard Odum.
Kenneth Janken, Director, 919-962-0523
William R. Ferris, Senior Associate Director, 919-962-0519
Patrick Horn, Associate Director, 919-962-0553
Deltra Tate, Administrative Manager and Events Coordinator, 919-962-0506
Harry L. Watson and Marcie Cohen Ferris, Editors
John Shelton Reed, Founding Editor Emeritus; Larry J. Griffin, Editor Emeritus
Ayse Erginer, Executive Editor
Emily Wallace, Deputy Editor/CSAS Communications Director
Malinda Maynor Lowery, Director, 919-962-0514 (on leave Fall 2016)
Rachel Seidman, Associate Director, 919-962-5931
Jaycie Vos, Coordinator of Collections, 919-962-0560
Taylor Livingston, Graduate Field Scholar
Kimber Thomas, Graduate Field Scholar